The Ministry of Sports and Recreation has rejected claims that the Black Queens are owed outstanding per diems, insisting that all approved allowances due to the players have been paid.
The Ministry was responding to a statement issued by members of the Black Queens in which the players raised concerns over outstanding bonuses, per diems, welfare and government support during the 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco.
According to the Ministry, the players and eligible officials received their per diems in advance on July 29, covering the period from July 26 to August 7. A further payment was made on August 11 following Ghana’s quarterfinal exit, covering the team’s continued stay in Morocco from August 8 to 14 as they pursue qualification through the FIFA Women’s World Cup play-in pathway.
The Ministry said the payments were acknowledged through signed allowance sheets attached to its statement and maintained that, as of August 12, there was no outstanding government obligation relating to per diems.
On winning bonuses, the Ministry acknowledged that the Black Queens earned a bonus from their group-stage victory over Cape Verde. However, it said the payment is still being processed through the required financial procedures and will be paid directly into the bank accounts of the players and eligible officials.
The Ministry also disputed the players' reference to an outstanding WAFCON qualification bonus from their qualifying matches against Egypt.
It explained that under the current government sports financing framework, qualification for the WAFCON through the home-and-away qualifying round does not attract a separate qualification bonus. The government, however, covers approved costs associated with the qualification process, including per diems and operational expenses.
The Ministry further stated that no government approval was given for winning bonuses for the qualifying matches against Egypt, and said the position had already been communicated to the Ghana Football Association.
On welfare concerns, the Ministry said the Black Queens have a support structure comprising a team manager, team administrator, two physiotherapists, a medical doctor, a nurse, a dietician, a chef, management team members and technical officials. It added that its accountant attached to the team has facilitated approved payments for additional welfare needs.
The government said its commitment to the Black Queens and women's football remains firm, while urging that concerns about financial entitlements and welfare be addressed through the appropriate institutional channels.
The response comes as the Black Queens prepare for their FIFA Women's World Cup qualification play-in against Cote d'Ivoire, with a place at the 2027 World Cup in Brazil at stake.
Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +233 546310076.
Read Full Story
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Instagram
Google+
YouTube
LinkedIn
RSS